After sweat-working several hours in the gnarly tropical climate here in Hollywood, Florida setting up tools, measuring, checking twice, filming, grinding, I did it! Yes! Wasn’t sure it was going to work out, but, it did! My major concern was being able to solder the washers back on and it worked out much better than I anticipated. I was able to grind off all of the washer with few issues. I had started off with a grinder wheel on my grinder then switched to a cut-off wheel to reach the tight spaces and preserve as much of the washers as possible. I cleaned off the paint where I wanted the washers to go then soldered them on exactly where I wanted them. It worked surprisingly well. Beginners luck. Once I did that I put the axle on the frame and it took several tries to get everything the way I wanted but it was worth it. I think I cut a little over 1 1/4″ off the axle which makes the tolerances very tight.
There was an issue with the paint. After proper cleaning, surface preparation and priming I was surprised when I applied the second coat of paint to watch the factory paint crinkle instantly. It was bizarre to watch the paint pucker up like that. Looks like I shouldn’t have been so lazy and striped the paint off the whole thing and started fresh. I wonder why it did that though. In my dream shop I’d media-blast it clean then powder coat it.
The good news is I can get through all the doors I want and need to. Next steps are to modify the cart to accept and hold the extinguishers I have set aside for the cart project. I also made a video diary of the modification hope you find it informative and inspiring. -13