Update 11, Bin 1. I’ve killed them for sure. So much for that plan. Standing over the compost bin I open the stocking and all I see is a pile of dead roly poly that were as healthy as could be minutes before. What a sinking feeling.
Simple plan, stick a piece of pantyhose over the end of my shop vac hose, fix it on with rubber bands, suck up the roly polys and kill them. Not exactly what I had in mind and a surprising disappointment.
Vacuum them up and let them go, alive, was the purpose of the stocking. Not sure what happened there but it was a miserable failure. It’s an interesting experience to have. The feelings created when I didn’t mean to harm something on purpose as opposed to when it is intentional. After editing the video I see it would have been easy enough to take the cardboard outside and knock them off. Lesson learned.
It looks like I moved enough out for now. I think based on what I saw in the bin, that the roly poly are eating the waste before the worms get a chance to. They weren’t anywhere near the surface that I could see. I had to move things around to spot a few small ones.
I’m wondering if the worm population is doing well. I expected to see many worms at the surface trying to get at the avocados. Have to check back in a few days to see if there will be more worm activity around the waste. -13