Update 8, Bin 1, 10th July. Need to remove the dead grass out of a planter and recycle it into the bin. Everything set up to film, before recording began I removed the lid to make sure everything was in frame when the pursuit began. Caught a roach off guard. After tearing through all the cardboard caught the only roach in sight and ended it there. Searched the bin several times and saw nothing.
The video starts soon after the roach rodeo ended. Not very good footage of the transfer. Doing any task while watching it though the camera is not as easy as one might think. No offensive odors to note. Did not add any waste there was plenty from last time.
20th July Time to check bin conditions. Set up to film, hit record before I started this time. Roach rodeo part two begins as the cardboard is removed. It nearly escaped me it moved so fast. All the gory details caught on video. There was another roach in the cardboard that was taken out of the bin and set aside. Caught that roach and it is on its way to somewhere.
The overall condition of the bin looks like its progressing well. There are worms dispersed throughout the waste. The roly-polys are thriving the evidence is visible in the bin. There are maybe 50 or more. It’s hard to tell for sure. Plenty of white dot bugs wish I could see them under magnification. No foul odors.
An observation on onions in all of my bins over time. An onion, no not just the onion, most of the root/underground grown plants take much longer to decompose in the bin. The thing to note about the onion is while it looks like not much is happening from a top view, when turned over the bottom will be full of small earth worms. Not sure if I have footage yet in any of the videos. It appears that the younger worms are attracted to them.
To wrap it up, added a small amount of mangos and greens. Covered it with cardboard as usual. Didn’t add water this time the humidity level looked good. There isn’t much soil at this point so moisture levels have to be maintained and monitored. I’ve seen the top layer dry before. It helps to keep the cardboard close to the surface of the waste yet still have air flow.
Filmed a short video inside the bin. Not much to see. Close up view of how I like to see this bin with all the activity. Next time we’ll see if there’ll be another uninvited Roach Rodeo in town. For now everything looks good in the bin.
The title of the video was another topic I wanted to cover. I had come up with two. First was “Invaders caught, 3 Dead, Search continues” all of it true and clickbait as it gets. Sounds like and inspired by local headlines. The other choice was “Roach Rodeo Comes To Town”. That one is fun but not as headline dramatic as the first one. The next Worm bin notes will be more challenging and fun to title. Another reason why this is called the Vermicompost Experiment. -13
All Good In The Wood by Audionautix is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution license. For more check out the artist at: http://audionautix.com/
Note: 23 July 2018, as an experiment I changed the title of the video and blog to “Worm bin notes: Roach Rodeo Arrives, Chaos Ensues”. Lets see what happens. -13