Bins 2 & 3, time for a few updates. It has been some time since the last update. Late last year was the last one. When I recorded update 15 and went to edit I discovered two update videos that had never been edited. Overall there hasn’t been much out of the ordinary going on with the worms, nothing worth recording.
During the filming of updates 12 – 14 there had been a lot of worm activity at the top of the bins. Some times there were few, other times many. I never noticed any foul odors or anything that would seem offensive to my perception. The soil drains into the lower bin that is emptied regularly so that doesn’t seem like the soil is too wet. It seems like there is enough food for them. After watching some of the footage I’m thinking there are too many in each bin. Also it seems like some food is too fresh, it needs to be more decomposed or something like it. When it is a more decomposed state they swarm it until it disappears.
Update 13 video
Update 14 video
For update 15 there is a little of how my bins are set up and some video of the current conditions in each bin. I decided to add some potatoes, vanilla bean and sand to see what happens. If they don’t flee I’m considering starting another bin and rotating the soil in the bins possibly adding more moss or shredded cardboard.
Before I can do that I’ll need another floor dolly and a better way to cut cardboard the way I want too. Thinking of looking for a cheap bandsaw for the cardboard, the carpet knife is getting a little dangerous. It’s also hurricane season here these bins have to be kept clean and ready to roll inside the house. Not sure I’m ready to start another bin, having enough food will be an issue. Or maybe I can find another local who wants to start a bin and give them a portion of the worms.
This “experiment” has been fun and educational I always look forward to opening the bins and seeing what has changed. The next update should be interesting I’m mostly sure I’ll make major changes to bin 3 to see what is happening below the surface. -13